Certificate Extension Policy
This process has supported the industry and the workforce during these challenging times, and, as of December 2020, more than 38,000 certificates have been extended under the Policy.
OPITO’s view is that it is vital that the skills and competence of the workforce is maintained through regular training. Additionally, centers have now reopened in the majority of regions with physical distancing measures in place in training centers operating under national, regional, and local government guidelines.
As a result of the above, OPITO has taken the decision to close the Certificate Extension process.
Certificate Extension Process
The current Policy, effective 19 October 2020, remains in place until 23:59hrs on 28 February 2021
- If a delegate has been impacted by COVID-19, and their certification expires within 14 days before the expiry date, they can continue to request an extension by completing the appropriate form on the website (there are separate processes for employers and delegates (self-sponsors))
- Period of Grace – A two-month ‘period of grace’ to undertake refresher training will begin from the expiry date of the certificate
- Delegates are required to seek refresher training when it is suitable for them to do so
- There continues to be no charge for this service
The following will take effect as of 00:01hrs 1 March 2021
- Certificates which have now expired – Will no longer be granted an extension, regardless of circumstance
- Delegates will be advised to undertake refresher training
For further details about this advisory, you may visit the OPITO Website link below.